Here’s my writing goals list for the year as of today:
Develop a platform plan by March 1, 2020 Revise Whose Hearts are Mountains via developmental edit by March 1, 2020 Send 30 queries for Whose Hearts are Mountains by March 1, 2020
- Send 30 queries for Whose Hearts are Mountains by April 1, 2020
- Send 30 queries for Whose Hearts are Mountains by May 1, 2020
- Send 50 queries for Gaia’s Hands by December 1, 2020
- Write/submit 5 short stories/poems/flash fiction by December 31, 2020
- Inner Child – January 30
- Kel and Brother Coyote Make a Deal – February 15
- Develop idea for next novel
- Get an agent
- Discuss with agent further books
- Publish my first book
- Develop personal sales presence
I guess I’m not doing too badly.
Short-term goals tend to build into longer-term goals, and long-term goals can build on each other. I’m currently working on the “getting an agent” part through queries, and if I get an agent to take me on, the queries section of the short-term goals will likely resolve itself. Publishing the book, on the other hand, will take years once I have a publisher, so it’s really long-term.
Personal sales presence is something I can’t really develop (other than developing a platform, which I am doing).
And I have ideas for a next novel. Almost too many, given that I’ve been advised to focus my efforts on shorter fiction. But I’ll pick one by NaNoWriMo (November), then start writing it.
I may have to come up with more goals at this rate.